Close to Everything! Pepper Pike offers easy living that is conveniently accessible to the Cleveland area’s rich string of cultural and other amenities. Pepper Pike is only 12 miles east of downtown, comprising 7.5 square miles with some of the most desirable neighborhoods in the sylvan Chagrin Valley. It is bounded by I-271 on the west and SOM Center Road to the east. On the north and south, its respective boundaries are Cedar Road and Chagrin Boulevard.
History Incorporated as a village in 1924, Pepper Pike became a city in 1970, when its population reached 5,000 (it's now almost 6,000). It is governed by a mayor and a seven-member City Council and is part of the Shaker Heights Municipal Court District.
Atmosphere Pepper Pike’s gently winding side streets and generous cul-de-sacs along with its traffic circles and open green spaces lend an uncluttered feel. Its homes and rolling properties include many wooded, private retreats from contemporary stresses. The city is largely residential and boasts a gracious, traditional lifestyle-a throwback to a more easygoing time. It holds summer concerts by its own community band, an annual ice cream social, fall clambake and hosts outdoor movies in the park.
Services From the outstanding services residents enjoy to bucolic surroundings, Pepper Pike perennially ranks among the top Cleveland suburbs, while the nationally renowned Orange City School District is ranked Excellent with Distinction by the State of Ohio.
Living Residences range from elegant townhouses to traditional homes on acres of land. Pepper Pike’s borders touch eight separate communities, allowing easy access to a universe of shopping, entertainment and office developments, as well as to major highways.
Recreation Pepper Pike is the home of two country clubs-the Pepper Pike Club and The Country Club, which hosted the 2012 U.S Women’s Amateur Championship. It is also the location of Ursuline College and several places of worship. Landerwood Plaza, built in 1960 as a graceful, low-rise neighborhood center, retains its flavor with specialty shops, restaurants, a hardware store and two markets. The shopping area is enhanced with an adjacent municipal park.
Sustainable Future Pepper Pike has maintained continuity between the traditional past and a more progressive present, with an eye on a sustainable future. Nearly two-thirds of residents take part in the recycling program, making Pepper Pike the "greenest" municipality in Cuyahoga County. The National Arbor Day Foundation regularly recognizes the city for its attention to tree-planting and environmental stewardship. Since its founding in 1957, the Pepper Pike Civic League has been keeping a close eye on public affairs, serving as an independent advocate for good government.
Wellness and Safety Residents’ well-being is a primary concern. The city holds an annual health fair, and is served around-the-clock by nearby Hillcrest Hospital of Cleveland Clinic and Ahuja Medical Center of University Hospitals. A sophisticated CodeRED telephone notification system allows city officials to alert residents quickly, on a targeted basis or en masse, of emergency situations or critical community alerts, as well as provides general community updates and information.
We take our education seriously in Pepper Pike. And on that front, we have much about which to be proud. Our K through 12 Orange City School District has often been recognized among the best in the nation. We are happily located in the middle of one of the greatest concentrations of leading private k-12 schools to be found anywhere in America. We even have a college within our borders, and some others just a short drive away.
The overall excellence of the public school system is supplemented by a network of excellent private, independent K-12 schools, some single-sex and others co-educational, regarded as among the very best in America. They include such nearby schools as:
John Carroll University A co-ed Catholic, Jesuit institution annually ranked among the best in the Midwest, is just a few miles away.
Ursuline College Educating women since 1871, is located within the city’s borders